Monday, 2 February 2015


When I started this project, I had a lot of things figured out.  However, there were just as many unanswered questions; one of which was mutli-player.  I knew I wanted to have a 4 player co-op experience, but I didn't know how I was going to approach it, or how to even code it in the first place.

Well, since the transition to Unity 5, I decided to rewrite the entire thing and give multi-player a try.  This time, I'm writing everything in C# becasue I felt like I've gotten progressively more familiar with it.  The bulk of January has been building something that looks more like a video game rather than a mere virtual-tour of a cave.

It's not perfect as, right now, I'm sending way too much information between computers to convey a smooth movement between characters; resulting in higher bandwidth consumption than I would like.  At least its working.

- 3 other players can join an existing game session through LAN and/or TCP/IP.
- Goblins are moving and can be interacted with.
- Text chat is in.
- Time and Day/Night cycles are in.

For the graphic prototype (what has been in blogged about prior to this post) I stumbled upon a slight issue.  It's nothing major but it's still something problematic: Ever since I made the switch to Unity 5, the Windows version of my compiled game looks radically different (and uglier) than what I've been seeing on the Mac whereas they traditionally looked identical.  It was easy to achieve since, as a Mac developper, if it works on OpenGL, chances are it working fine in DirectX.

Here's what it looks like on the Mac (which is kind of normal):

And here's what it looks like on Windows:


I think Unity 5's new physical graphical engine still needs to be ironed out.